The inevitable summer heat can make it difficult to binge on your favorite dishes. So, you eat foods that cool you down and help you let go of the summer heat. One of those quick and delicious recipes is curd rice. A South Indian staple, curd rice is one of the easiest and most delicious recipes that can be whipped up in a jiffy. And the best thing about this dish is that you can prepare it with leftover rice.
As Rajma Chawal is for Punjabis, Dhoklas is for Gujaratis, Rice Curd is for South Indians. Also known as yogurt rice, it is a staple in South India. Easy to make and delicious in taste, this delicious meal is something you will love even if you are not used to eating it. We assume you also want to try cottage cheese rice, so here is the recipe you can try.
How to make leftover cottage cheese from rice?
Check out the simple yet delicious cottage cheese rice recipe you must try:
Ingredients to use:
- A bowl of leftover plain rice
- Salt to taste
- Seasonal vegetables (optional)
- mustard seeds
- Cumin seeds
- Asafoetida / Hing)
- Chana Dal
- Urad Dal
- Red pepper
- curry leaves
- coriander leaves (optional)
Also read: Chawal is not your enemy! These 6 benefits of white rice prove exactly that.
If you don’t know how to make white rice, here is the recipe:
1. Take half a cup of rice and rinse it 2-3 times with water to remove excess starch.
2. Now add the rice and 1.5 cups of water to the pot. Put it on medium-low heat and let it cook until you hear 3-4 hisses. Let the pressure release on its own.
Curd rice recipe
1. Mash the rice in a thick bowl so that it does not form lumps.
2. Add some curd and salt to the cold rice.
3. If you want, you can also add some fresh seasonal vegetables to the rice and give all the ingredients a good stir.
4. Now, heat some oil in a pan and add some mustard seeds, cumin seeds and asafoetida. Let them sizzle.
5. Add some chana dal, urad dal and red chilli.
6. Add curry leaves once the dal is browned.
7. Now, put the tadka you just made on top of the rice curd mixture.
8. Decorate the rice with curd with some coriander leaves and toasted peanuts (optional).
What are the benefits of rice curd?
If you doubt that rice with cottage cheese is not a good combination for you, it is not. Pavithra N Raj, Chief Dietitian, Manipal Hospitals, Yeshwanthpur, Bengaluru, shares that curd contains probiotics, which are clinically proven to improve gut health.
Also read: 5 facts about curd to show that it is the superfood you need this summer
“Curd is good for gut health, which means it will stimulate digestion and keep overall digestive health in check. It will also help keep infections at bay and restore the microbial balance in the intestine. It is also a good source of calcium. In fact, people believe that they should not eat curd if they have the disease, but natural curd is good for health. It also aids digestion and helps prevent bloating that can occur due to medication,” says the nutritionist.
He also adds that rice curd is also a cooling food that is easy on the digestive system. It can also help reduce acidity. Whether applied topically or eaten, the vitamin C content in curd can do wonders for your skin and hair. However, you should always check with your doctor for side effects.
You can enjoy this delicious recipe at any time as it is quick to make and can be made with a little leftover rice.