Oxfordshire man struck by lightning while playing Playstation at home

Caption: Man struck by lightning while in living room Credit: Aidan Rowan/@stormstruckcosplay/Getty

Aidan Rowan was struck by lightning while in his living room (Image: Aidan Rowan/Getty)

A man was left with scars on his arm when he was struck by lightning while sitting on his sofa.

Aidan Rowan, 33, was using his PlayStation when he heard a loud crack followed by a heavy feeling in his body at around 10.30pm last Monday.

He immediately went home to Oxfordshire so his husband Aaron, 32, took him to hospital.

Aidan was kept under observation for several hours before being discharged with some pain medication.

Coincidentally, he was playing Stray at the time – a game where you control a lost cat during a storm.

He said: “I was on the sofa playing a game where you play as a stray cat and it was thundering outside.

“There was a very loud thunder and I felt a very intense sensation all over and then intense heat on my right hand, where there are now burns.

A man was struck by lightning while in his living room

He recovered from his million-to-one encounter with nothing more than scars on his arm (Image: Aidan Rowan/@stormstruckcosplay)

“It took about a minute to come to my senses, I felt very, very confused. I went upstairs and asked my husband for a wet towel as I didn’t know what had happened but my hand was burning.

“He asked what that smell was and I was burning. He then called his parents to take me to the hospital. He said he could see my hand blistering as he watched.

“We got to reception and Aaron said something had happened and it might have been lightning and everyone turned to look at me.

“I was rushed into an assessment room and told it looked like it was lightning. Nine doctors from different departments came to look at me and put me in a cardiologist and did some blood tests.

“At first my heart rate was erratic, but after I’d been level for about four hours I could go home.”

Luckily Aiden was left with nothing but a series of scars on his left hand and a ‘starburst’ shaped burn on his right hand after the incident, but says it could have been a lot worse.

He said doctors believed the lightning “bounced off the water and through the window” after the warm weather had made the ground hard causing rainwater to sit on top.

“We just couldn’t really process it at the time,” he said.

“After a few days it started to affect me mentally, realizing I could have died.

“My friends were very worried, especially in the early days, but once people realized I was fine, they became quite funny about Thor.”

“This is the last time I play a cute cat game during a storm I think!”

Contact our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Leave a Comment