King Charles’ staff told during mourning they may lose jobs, UK monarchy criticized

LONDON: A British trade union on Wednesday criticized as “bad” the monarchy’s decision to issue redundancy notices this week to some of the King’s staff Charles IIIhis former official residence.
Up to 100 employees working on Clarence Houseincluding some there for decades, reportedly received the notices on Monday during a prayer in Edinburgh for the late Queen Elizabeth II.
After Charles ascended to the throne last Thursday following the death of his mother, which in turn meant he renounced the title of Prince of Wales and his holdings of the Duchy of Cornwall.
Those businesses, officially operating from his Clarence House residence, will now cease, his office confirmed, after The Guardian newspaper first reported the development on Tuesday.
“The decision by Clarence House to announce redundancies during a period of mourning is nothing short of heartless,” Mark Serwotka, general secretary of the Public and Commercial Services Union (PCS), said in a statement.
“While some changes in households were to be expected, as the roles in all households royal family change, the scale and speed at which this has been announced is extremely harsh.”
He added that the PCS remained “committed to supporting those colleagues in the wider royal family estates whose futures are upended by this announcement at this already difficult time”.
However, the Guardian noted that Clarence House staff are not currently believed to have a recognized union at their disposal.
The move to wind up Charles’ Clarence House businesses follows in similar footsteps with the households of Queen Elizabeth’s mother, who died in 2002, and Charles’ father Prince Philipwho passed away last year.
A spokesman for Clarence House said that “as required by law, a consultation process has been launched following last week’s accession.
“Our staff have given long and loyal service and while some redundancies will be inevitable, we are working urgently to identify alternative roles for as many staff as possible,” he added.
Royal sources said attempts were made to delay informing affected staff until after Queen Elizabeth’s funeral on Monday, but legal advice sought said it should be shared as soon as possible.
Those sacked will be offered “enhanced” severance pay and none will be affected for at least three months, according to royal sources.

Leave a Comment