PM Modi will also inaugurate the statue of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose and the event will be followed by a cultural event and a drone demonstration on the freedom fighter.
After Independence, the streets of Central Vista Avenue were also renamed: King’s Way became Rajpath and Queen’s Way became Janpath. The regent’s house became the Rashtrapati Bhavan and the All India War Memorial became the India Gate.
What is Central Vista?
Central Vista is the administrative capital of the country. Envisioned by British architects Edwin Lutyens and Herbert Baker, Central Vista houses the function of government. It was inaugurated in 1931.
The Central Vista includes the Rashtrapati Bhawan, Parliament, North and South Blocks and the Archives Office (later called the National Archives), along with the India Gate monument and the urban gardens on either side of the Rajpath.
“The plan was designed using traditional means of urban planning, with a strong axis, an accentuated focal point, the formation of important nodes and a definitive termination point. At the time, it was one of the largest projects of its kind in the world. It was conceived and designed to reflect the spirit , India’s progress and global importance,” an official statement said.
Today the renovated Central Vista Avenue will be inaugurated.
Here are some things kids should know about this project of national importance:
1. Central Vista Avenue runs from Rashtrapati Bhavan to India Gate.
2. The section formerly known as Rajpath will be known as Kartavia Path from today.
3. This section is one of the most popular places in Delhi and also witness events of cultural and national fame like Independence Day and Republic Day.
4. Kartavya trail is grass lined, 16.5 km red granite walkway, public amenities, vending zones and signage.
5. It also has an amphitheater with 16 food stalls.
6. It has a parking space to accommodate up to 1,000 cards and also has four underground pedestrian crossings.
7. The Avenue includes a 3 km tree-lined stretch from the Viceroy’s House to the Indian War Memorial.
8. It will also have rainwater harvesting system at designated locations.
9. The total green cover of Central Vista Avenue has increased from 3,50,000 square meters to 3,90,000 square meters.
10. Till date, the reconstruction plan has generated 7,71,842 days of employment.
Recently, Prime Minister Modi unveiled a bronze statue of the National Emblem weighing 9,500 kg.