Why the AFL women’s competition will NOT observe a minute’s silence to mark the Queen’s death this weekend – as a female NRL player deletes a highly offensive tweet about the monarch’s death
- AFL has announced there will be no minute’s silence during the AFLW Indigenous Round
- The AFLW previously said it would be observed out of respect for the late Queen
- The NRLW is doing damage control for Caitlin Moran’s insensitive tweet
The AFL has announced it will not observe a minute’s silence for the death of Queen Elizabeth II during the remaining AFLW Indigenous Round matches.
Round three of the women’s league will go ahead without interruption with the decision made after serious consideration by the AFL.
The sporting body thought it best not to keep the minute of silence as the Queen’s death was a sensitive subject given the AFLW Indigenous Round.
The decision comes as the NRL enters damage control over a disingenuous post about the Queen made by NRLW Newcastle Knights player Caitlin Moran.
The AFL has announced it will not observe a minute’s silence for the death of Queen Elizabeth II during the AFLW Indigenous Tour
The ruling comes as the NRLW enters damage control over a disingenuous post made by Newcastle Knights player Caitlin Moran
The AFL had initially announced it would observe a minute’s silence before each of its matches over the weekend.
“In honor and remembrance of Her Majesty’s life, a minute’s silence will be observed before the national anthem this afternoon and tomorrow’s semi-finals and flags will be flown at half-mast,” it said in a statement.
“There will also be a minute’s silence before all AFLW and VFL matches this weekend.”
Concerns were raised that the sports body made the announcement before consulting club representatives or Indigenous liaison officers.
The AFL then reversed its decision in a memo to clubs on Friday night.
“As Season 7 of the AFLW is Indigenous rounds, all existing plans to respect and honor Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples will go ahead as planned,” it says.
The AFL observed a minute’s silence before the ALW match between the Western Bulldogs beat Fremantle on Friday and will hold another minute’s silence before Collingwood take on Fremantle on Saturday.
The NRL is dealing with its own issues after Newcastle Knights star Moran made a disrespectful Instagram post about the Queen’s death on Friday.
The AFL had initially announced it would observe a minute’s silence before each of its matches over the weekend
The post included a photo of the Queen along with a message that Daily Mail Australia chose not to publish due to its insensitive nature.
Moran kept the post on her social media account for eight hours before taking it down when it was reported by the media.
Newcastle Knights said they are investigating the matter with possible disciplinary action.
Daily Mail Australia has contacted the club for comment.
Moran is one of the most high profile players in the sport to join the Newcastle Knights this season.
He is only 25 but has already played for Australia’s winning team at the 2017 Rugby League World Cup.
He has also represented New South Wales and the Indigenous All Stars.